Wednesday, November 2, 2016

The Mess That Became The Message

Chapter Nine, to be honest professor, needed its own blogpost. I really would've liked to get into 11/12/13, however, this was an intense set of practical and interesting tips. As I always emphasize, and probably will continue to do forever, I love how Kittle begins the chapter by talking about her personal struggles and writing. The number one thing that I admire about Kittle is her fearlessness and ability to be courageous. She shows this courage in sharing one of the major topics that always show up in her writing, the loss of her childhood friend. This reminds me of a student I have whose name is Amir. Amir, without fail, writes very morbidly about life and his situations. Everything is sad. Everything is meaningless. Everything is pointless. It's challenging for me because when reading assignments like this, I often want to dictate what is being written on their papers. Kittle always has a plan though. I appreciate her discussion of multi or two-voiced poems. They definitely introduced me to something new, fresh and different.

Another thing I appreciated from this chapter was the "Holistic Impact of the Paper" page? (I think). The language in it is really powerful and impactful. I may borrow some of her ideas for my own class. I kind of do something similar and I call the activity, "HotSeat". I believe teachers need to pull students out into the unknown place of uncomfortability. Kittle teaches the educator how to pull your students from the kiddy pool into the deep end.

No comments:

Post a Comment